1. The Secret Life of Bees
2. Sue Monk Kidd
3. South Carolina 1964
4. radio, space heater, furnace
5. Lily Owens, Rosalen, T. Ray
6. stand in mother insults three of the deepest racists in town
1. Ten Cents a Dance
2. Christine Fletcher
3. 1942, Chicago
4. Struggling Economy (World War II)
5. Ruby Jacinski, Paulie Suelze
6. Ruby is forced to drop out of school to get a job and help support her family, but she hates working in a factory.
Author: Douglas Coupland
Setting: Paulo Alto, CA - "Silicon Valley" CA - Early and Late 1990's
Evidence of Time Period: Windows 95, Powerbooks, Start of the Web Internet Superhighway
Characters: Dan, Karla, Susan, Ethan, Michael, Bug, Abe, Dusty
Conflict: They want to earn money, decide their jobs, and figure out who they really are inside of their geek selves
1. The Pelican Brief
2. John Grisham
3. New Orleans in the early 1990s
4. Terrorism, cigars, cardigans
5. Darby Shaw, Thomas Callahan, Gray Gratham
6. 2 Supreme Court Justices were assassinated and Darby figured out why they were killed. The people responsible for the murders want Darby dead.
1. The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay
2. Michael Chabon
3. New York City 1939 to mid-1940s
4. Radio is pretty big; Superman comic was recently written, setting off the Golden Age of comics; The Nazi's are persecuting Jews in Europe
5. Josef "Joe" Kavalier and Sammy Klayman
6. The two main characters are trying to survive in New York City while pursuing their passion for illustration and comics.
1. Burn Baby Burn
2. Meg Medina
3. New York City 1977
4. Son of Sam
5. Nora, Kathleen, Angel, Mr. Mac
6. Son of Sam causing terror in New York City. There are countless murders, and Mr. Mac is still worried about Nora and Kathleen being outside.
2. George Orwell
3. London 1984
4. Pig Iron, Telescreen, Joycamp
5. Big Brother, Winston Smith, Emmanuel Goldstein, Julia, O’Brien, Syme
6. Winston struggles with whether or not he should keep his free will/thoughts or give in to what Big Brother is telling him.
1. Journey to the End of the World
2. Henning Mankell
3. Northern Sweden 1950s
4. Teachers hit their students, merchant sailors
5. Joel, Samuel, Jenny
6. Joel might have to give up sailing to meet his mom, who ran away when he was little
2. George Orwell
3. London (known as "Airstrip One" in book) 1984
4. Telescreen and Pig Iron
5. Winston, Big Brother, Julia, Emmanuel, Syme, and O'Brien
6.The state is depriving Winston of the right to freedom of speech and privacy.
1) Shanghai Girls
2) Lisa See
3) Shanghai/U.S. 1937-1957
4) Use of Chinese yuan, some politically incorrect terms
5) Pearl & May Chin
6) External conflict between Pearl and her father, who favors her sister May over her
1. Once A Runner
2. John L. Parker Jr.
3. 1970s, Florida
4. Characters based on real life athletes and trainers of the time
5. Quenton Cassidy, Bruce Denton, Jerry Mizner, Dick Doobey, Andrea Cleland
6. Quenton gets kicked off the track team and is barred from competition at the university's annual track meet.
1) Eleanor and Park
2) Rainbow Rowell
4) Walkman, Landlines
5) Eleanor is the new kid with bright red her who no one wants to talk to, and Park is a kid who is finally getting ignored by the mean kids on the bus when they meet.
6) Park doesn't want to talk to Eleanor for fear of the kids on the bus being mean to him at school or at home, but she sat next to him.
1. The Winds of War
2. Herman Wouk
3. Berlin, Germany/Siena, Italy 1941
4. Growth of Nazi Germany/Telegram/President Roosevelt
5. Rhoda & Victor Henry and their grown children: Madeline, Byron, and Warren.
6. Internal conflict for each child as they mature into adulthood. Man vs. Society dealing with the Nazi groups and the Jewish people.
1. About a Boy
2. Nick Hornsby
3. New York in the early 90's
4. Game-boy, Landlines
5. Marcus, Will, Fiona
6. Marcus's mothers boyfriend wants to leave but doesn't want to leave Marcus
1. The Great Gatsby
2. F. Scott Fitzgerald
3. New York City and Long Island 1922
4. Prohibition, rising stocks values, Roaring Twenties
5. Jay Gatsby, Daisy Buchanan, Nick Carraway
6. Gatsby has amassed a fortune in order to win Daisy's heart, but her husband and his past stand in the way.
1) The Shadow of the Wind
2) Carlos Ruiz Zafon
3) Barcelona, 1950s
4) Takes place just after WWII
5) Daniel Sempere, Tomás Aguilar, Fermín Romero de Torres, Beatriz Aguilar, Don Gustavo Barcelo, Clara Barceló, Julián Carax, Francisco Javier Fumero, Miquel Moliner, Father Fernando Ramos, Jorge Aldaya, Penélope Aldaya, Jacinta Coronado, Nuria Monfort
6) Lain Coubert has been burning all of Carax's novels that Daniel Sempre is looking to protect.
This blog is for thoughtful reflection about our classroom studies. Each comment should reflect a meaningful contribution to the class discussion.